Tuesday, October 16, 2007

September Newsletter

LIFE IN KOSECA
Ashley Severson, Young Adult in Global Mission
September Newsletter

After almost a month of language training in Velky Slavkov, and “orienteering” in Chicago and Bratislava, I finally arrived in Koseca, Slovakia on September 15th! The village of Koseca is small and quaint (about 2,000 people), and beautiful during the season’s change! Many people ask me “Isn’t it strange for you to go from the United States to Koseca? It’s so small.” They’re all surprised to hear that my hometown of Westbrook, Minnesota is actually even smaller than Koseca, so the size feels like home in many ways. I live and work in “the center” (more formally known as Stredisko Evanjelickej diakonie). It is essentially a nursing home, housing almost 50 residents.

It has been quite an interesting adventure, both living and working here!
I spend a lot of my time here helping the nurses: Anka, Vlasta, Eveta, Martin, Milan, Innes, Janka, Viera, Anitka, and Zuza. I’ve been helping with feeding some of the residents, bathing the residents, changing/getting them out of bed, and helping serving meals in the dining room. Almost every day at least once, I get to feed Bozena Krausova, which so far is my favorite part of the day. So far, the only things I know about her are that she used to be a professor in Russia, she doesn’t really like to eat meat, and she smiles when I talk to her! When I’m able to speak more Slovak, I’m going to ask the nurses more about her. I’m very curious to know more about her!

The other part of my volunteer work is teaching English at a high school in the neighboring village of Ilava. I have met many fun people through the school, and have had some interesting times with the students! I was given my own class to teach on Tuesdays and Fridays (10 girls who don’t speak very much English), and I also spend the remainder of those days helping the two head English teachers at Obchodna Akademia: Mirka and Beata. I go to their classes with them and speak about random topics for the students, have conversations with them, or read out of their textbooks for them so they can get listening practice. Mirka and Beata also give their students free time to ask me questions, which has been interesting. Anything from, “Why are you in Slovakia? Do you like Slovak boys?” to “What does America think of Slovakia? What do you think of 9/11, the war on terrorism, and President Bush?” All in all it has been a really great experience! More to come later on classroom adventures!

A main difference I have discovered between our culture and the Slovak culture is the food, and the way in which they eat it. It has been a new adventure every day trying new foods and drinks, eating more soup and cabbage then ever before, and less junk/fattening food. The Slovak people have been extremely friendly and hospitable, and they LOVE to offer food! Another main difference is obviously the language. The language barrier has been quite difficult, but often times exciting! I think I’ve made a lot of progress since being here in Koseca, more than I made in actual language training! I love attempting conversations with the residents, even if my part of the conversation usually only consists of “Dobry den” (Good afternoon), “Ako sa mas?” (How are you) and “Dovidenia” (Goodbye). They sweetly pat me on the head and pinch my cheeks as I listen and attempt to understand. I’m excited for the coming days when I’ll be able to have fuller conversations with them!

I spent the last four years in college trying to discover myself, what I’m capable of doing, and what God’s purpose was for putting me on this Earth. As I chose a major and finished my years of studying, I could say with confidence that:

A) I was not meant to be an educator.
B) I was not meant to work in health care.

Upon arrival in Koseca, I was informed that I would be:
A) Teaching English at a local high school
B) Working with the nurses at the center, caring for the patients

So far on this adventure, He has taught me to open my mind (not only with the jobs I’m doing) in so many aspects and opened new doors for my life that I never imagined would be opened. He’s reminded me that even when I think I know what’s best for my life, it’s actually Him who knows. I look forward to growing in this community of people and seeing how He uses me this year!

Thank you so much for all of your support!! To read more about my experiences, check out my blog online at:
www.ashleyrenslovak.blogspot.com

Address:
Ashley Severson
Stredisko Evanjelickej diakonie
Koseca 898
018 64
Slovakia

Email: ashseve@hotmail.com
Phone: 011.421.918.310.062

*To learn about the volunteer options through the Young Adults in Global Mission Program, visit: www.elca.org/globalmission

2 comments:

jan&am said...

ash u are soo awesome abd BRAVE!! u love hearing about ur expierences! has to be scary at times! love ya lots...take care..am

Dixie, WI said...

So good to catch up with you - sounds like you are doing great. what a blessing you must be to the people there, as well as them being a blessing to you. We are so proud of you! You are in our prayers daily. Sending my love to you, Dixie, WI