Saturday, June 14, 2008

I've Lost the Ability to Speak English

Just wanted to inform you all that I may or may not be able to speak in English when I return back to the U.S. in August. The other day I said, “Thanks, I had really much fun.” A few other highlights of mine in the past few weeks, “This kind is expensiver,” “he is such a pesk” (an awkward combination of pesky and pest), and “it takes basicer math.” Also, the words “borrow” and “lend” have become interchangeable in my brain, and when asked to explain the difference between the two words (a friend at school asked)…I explained the meaning of the two words and incorrectly used them, exactly OPPOSITE of how they’re supposed to be used. I've recently spent time traveling with the other volunteers, and we spent quite a bit of time laughing at each other’s inability to speak coherently. Many of our comments or stories ended with, “WHAT did I just say???” It should be interesting to be back in the U.S. (And how am I supposed to interview for jobs…with a degree in ENGLISH…hoping to get a job writing or editing in ENGLISH…Oh man.)

No comments: