Tuesday, March 18, 2008

the Slovak Language

I just thought this was interesting...

Here is the Wikipedia link for the page about the Slovak language. You can check this out if you're interested, and get a little taste of what I've been trying to learn and understand for the past seven months. Pretty crazy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_language

The page goes into great detail, and is a bit complicated and drawn out at parts. So, here are some of the basic highlights:
*The Slovak alphabet has all of the letters in the English alphabet, plus many additional dipthongs (two letters together that count as one letter) and other consonants with different types of accent marks.

*Adjectives, nouns, pronouns, and verbs change gender. Yikes!

*Slovak is very closely related to the Czech language, and is somewhat similar (and has been influenced by) the languages Czech, Hungarian, German, and Polish.

*Slovak is broken into four different dialects (the language is spoken differently, depending on which part of the country you live in). I've noticed a decent amount of differences from my first placement to my second placement. The people at my first placement spoke the Western Slovak dialect, and at my second placement the Central Slovak dialect.

No comments: